One of the best ways to earn in Dollars is through exportation. This post shows you how to export food items to the US from Nigeria, and we did mention some very key concerns you must put into consideration as an Exporter.
The United States is one of the world’s largest importers of food. Exporting food from Nigeria to the United States can be a lucrative way to grow your business.
However, it is important to be aware of the food safety and regulatory requirements of the United States before exporting. This blog post will provide an overview of the food safety and regulatory requirements for exporting food from Nigeria to the United States.
Table of Contents
How to Export Food Items to the US from Nigeria
At a time, out of curiosity, a major importer on our long list had asked to be guided on everything about exporting from Nigeria to the US. Before then (and after), we have received a series of questions regarding this subject, especially from the most inquisitive individuals who had just been hinted to by one of our professionals about Exporting food items from Nigeria to the US.
Can Food Items be Exported from Nigeria to the US?
The United States is a market economy. Nigeria is a mixed economy. As a result, there are certain food items that can be exported from Nigeria to the United States. This includes fish, meat, poultry, fruits, vegetables, grains, and seeds.
It is advisable that these items must be dried to avoid issues with the American standard rules for the exportation of food items.
Please note: Before exporting any food items from Nigeria to the United States, it is important to obtain the appropriate export licenses and approvals from the Nigerian government. It is also important to ensure that the food items meet all U.S. food safety standards. For more information on exporting food items from Nigeria to the United States, please contact us for proper guidance.
Is Exporting Food Items to the US Profitable?
There is no direct answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including the type of food product, the target market, and the level of competition. However, in general, exporting food items to the US can be a profitable venture.
The United States of America is the world’s largest economy, with a Gross Domestic Product of over $16 trillion as of 2013. Nigeria, on the other hand, is Africa’s largest economy, with a GDP of $268.3 billion as of 2016. Despite being on different continents and having different levels of economic development, it is possible to export foodstuff from Nigeria to the USA.
It is important to know that food export to the United States is a big topic as different food items are all under different regulations.
It is usually advisable to seek the right information before venturing into the export business, Contact the FDA in the USA. They are the ones that set the regs and can advise you.
How to start the exportation of food products from Nigeria to the US?
There are many opportunities for businesses to export agricultural products from Nigeria to the United States. The United States is a large market with a growing demand for Nigerian products.
Are you interested in exporting foodstuff from Nigeria to the United States? If so, there are a few things you need to know in order to make the process as smooth as possible.
First of all, you will need to obtain a license from the Nigerian Export Promotion Council. Once you have this license, you will be able to register with the United States Food and Drug Administration. After you have registered, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Free Sale from the Nigerian Ministry of Health. This Certificate will show that your products are safe for human consumption and are free of any contaminants.
Once you have all of these documents in order, you will be able to start exporting foodstuff from Nigeria to the United States. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the export process and learn as much as you can about the regulations in both countries in order to make reasonable progress.
Read About the Nigerian Export Promotion Council.
Process of exporting foodstuff from Nigeria to the USA
The process of exporting foodstuff from Nigeria to the USA is not as complicated as one might think. Here are the basic steps:
1. Research the United States market: Before exporting anything to the USA, you must first carry out market research to determine whether there is a demand for the product you want to export. This can be done by talking to potential importers, conducting online research, or visiting the USA to see the market for yourself.
2. Obtain the necessary permits and licenses: Once you have determined that there is a market for your product in the USA, you will need to obtain the necessary permits and licenses from the Nigerian government. These permits will allow you to export your foodstuff from Nigeria to the USA.
3. Find a reliable export partner: Once you have the necessary permits, you will need to find a reliable export partner who can help you ship your foodstuff to the USA. There are many freight forwarding companies in Nigeria that can help you with this process.
4. Ship your foodstuff to the USA: Once you have found a reliable export partner, you will need to ship your foodstuff to the USA. You can do this by sea, air, or road.
5. Market your product in the USA: Once your foodstuff arrives in the USA, you will need to market your product to potential buyers. This can be done through online platforms such as social media, online marketplaces, or through brick-and-mortar stores.
Read About: How to Export from Nigeria to the United Kingdom
The Condition of food items to be exported to the US
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, food items must be “packaged in a sanitary manner, free of visible contamination, and not presenting a health hazard.” In general, food items must be clean, safe, and fit for human consumption.
One such condition is that the foods mostly should be dried, canned, frozen, or otherwise processed in a way that will prevent them from rotting or becoming contaminated.
Another condition is that the foods should not be poisonous or toxic in any way. Lastly, the food must be safe to eat, meaning that it is not spoiled or otherwise contaminated.
What types of Foodstuffs can be exported from Nigeria to the US
Nigeria is a country blessed with an abundance of natural resources, including a variety of foodstuffs that are popular in the US. Here are some of the most popular Nigerian foodstuffs that you can export to the US:
There are a number of food items you can export from Nigeria to the US and other countries. These foods include:
* Bitter leaf
* Groundnut oil
* Palm oil
* Yam flour
* Cassava flour
* Palm kernel oil
* Dried Fish
4 potential obstacles in foodstuff export from Nigeria to the USA?
Everyone seeks the most cost-effective and simple way to export food items from Nigeria to the United States. But, most simply do not take into cognizance, a few obstacles that may exist in the exportation business, generally.
Navigating potential obstacles, like those posed by customs regulations, can create extra challenges. We are here to assist in guiding you through this process. Aside from the obstacles of Customs regulations, there are 4 potential obstacles, as follows:
- High exportation costs – Due to the prohibitive shipping costs, the majority of customers are hesitant to engage in the business of shipping food internationally. Bowagate’s fees are comparatively affordable and reasonable when compared to the excellent services we provide.
- Finding US customers – Nigerian exporters struggle to find US customers and are forced to rely on intermediaries who most times defraud them of their earnings when they sell to customers on their behalf. We are sympathetic to your situation, which is why we usually make recommendations about how to find customers in the US.
- Delayed Delivery: Delivery delay is one of the biggest problems that clients have with many shippers. With a thorough grasp of the difficulties encountered when moving food from Nigeria to the US, we developed choices that could meet your requirements. You can receive things in 3 to 5 business days thanks to our air-priority transit speed.
- Guaranteed Delivery: Bowagate has distinguished itself over the years by successfully sending food around the world with the help of our export professionals. In contrast to other shippers, the safety of your package is not guaranteed. All shipments placed in our care will be delivered without any hassle, we guarantee it.
Over the years, our capabilities have been tested with challenges of various gravities, with a 101% success rate. Our team of professionals plays willing in ensuring that your food items get delivered to their destinations in the US.
Why are some food items not allowed?
The importation of food products into the US can pose a serious threat to agriculture and the environment by introducing foreign pests and food-borne diseases. An outbreak of a pest or disease could have far-reaching consequences, including higher grocery bills and shortages of some food items for consumers.
This, of course, is the reason why there are recorded cases of fines for violators who have traveled into the US with prohibited foods while a few others suffer for non-declaration of food items.
Exporting from Nigeria to the US: Shipping Methods
At Bowagate, we offer the easiest way to ship food items from Nigeria to the US and other parts of the world. We have two shipping methods available: air freight and ocean freight. We make shipping food items globally seamless and easy.
Air Shipping Method
At our company, we offer air shipping of food items from Nigeria to the USA starting at affordable prices per kilogram. This includes popular Nigerian staples such as cassava flour (garri), dried catfish, ogbono, blended melon, and more.
We ship weekly through standard shipping with a delivery time of 5-7 business days to the US, and most times, faster than that depending on circumstances surrounding the export.
We also offer door-to-door priority delivery in 3 – 5 business days to anywhere in the world. Plus, we have everyday priority shipping available.
Ocean shipping Method
If you’re looking to ship goods via sea, LCL shipping is a great option. It’s perfect for customers who have bulky items or need affordable shipping costs to the USA.
You can choose between a Full Container or shared container shipping services, depending on your needs. Shared container shipping is more affordable, making it a popular choice for small businesses that need to ship large goods.
We do it differently, This is why you need us
Our method of exporting food items to the US is quite unique, however, the most important aspect of this service is to get you and your buyers to the point of satisfaction. Therefore, we have a few steps that we take to make sure that your experience with us is nothing short of excellent.
We want to help you succeed as much as you do, so that is why we put our clients first.
The way we do this is simple, we communicate with you every step of the way. We also have a great deal of experience in the food export business, so we know how to get your products to the US quickly, safely, and legally.
What separates us from other food exporters is our dedication to customer service. We will work with you to make sure that your experience is as smooth as possible, and that you are getting the best possible service.
So, if you are looking for a food exporter that will put you first, then look no further than the Export Solutions at Bowagate Global Limited. We are here to help you succeed.
Other Resources on this Website
- How to Start Charcoal Exportation from Nigeria
- Essential Tips on Exportation from Nigeria
- Importation Information About Small Scale Export Business (Mini-Exportation)
- Strong Reasons why Large-Scale Exportation Business is Good for you
- Read more from our Blog
If you look at the importance of earning in Dollars as a Nigerian, you feel much more secure. One best ways to grow in Dollar earnings is by going into Exportation. This article was created with you in mind, especially where your intent and desire is in starting the exportation of food items from Nigeria to the US.
Exportation is a great business and the best time to start is now. The best logistics team to consider for your exportation need is Bowagate Global Limited as we have recorded quite a great list of international trade successes with track records.
As a member of WCA Network, JCtrans, and other prominent bodies, we’re 100% confident as much as you’re expected to be, that no matter how big your shipments are, we’re capable of delivering to your expectation.
Do you like this Post? Would you like to receive the latest updates and information from us?
Call us for a seamless shipping experience
Our lines are open for business and consultation. Call +2348186078330.
We respond promptly to emails too. Send emails to [email protected]
Our services are cheap (affordable), fast (swift), and reliable. We can help you avoid delayed shipping in December.
You can leave your business in our hands, be it Import, Export, Freight Forwarding, Clearing/Customs Duty Brokerage, Groupage Freight, Warehousing, Consolidation, Air Freight Consolidation, Shipping Globally, Door to Door Freight Shipping, etc.